Tuesday, July 24, 2007

My Favorite Song in the Whole Wide World

"For Once In My Life" performed by Stevie Wonder

The man who (co)wrote this song, Ron Miller has died. He wrote my most favoritest song AND he was a Cubs' fan - he sounds pretty cool to me.

Miller got his professional start in the music business in the 1960s, when Motown founder Berry Gordy saw him perform at a piano bar and invited him to Detroit as one of the label's first songwriters and record producers. His songs have been recorded by many leading artists, including Judy Garland, Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross and Ray Charles.

"For Once in My Life," written with Orlando Murden, is one of the most recorded songs in history, with more than 270 versions, according to All Music Guide. A rendition by Tony Bennett and Wonder won a Grammy award this year.

Born in Chicago, Miller was a die-hard Cubs fan, who wrote his first sad song as a child about his beloved but hapless team, his daughter said.

"My father will be reborn every time someone sings one of his songs," Lisa Dawn Miller said. "When they feel joy or sadness or any emotion, that will be my dad and his words." Miller is survived by his wife, Aurora Miller, and six children.

-P
For once in my life I’ve got someone who needs me
Someone I’ve needed so long
For once unafraid I can go where life leads me
And somehow I know Ill be strong

For once I can touch what my heart used to dream of
Long before I knew
Someone warm like you
Could make my dreams come true

For once in my life
I wont let sorrow hurt me
Not like its hurt me before
For once I’ve got someone
I know wont desert me
And I’m not alone anymore

For once I can say: this is mine you cant take it
As long as I’ve got love I know I can make it
For once in my life
I’ve got someone who needs me

1 comment:

Melissa said...

What a great song. There are certain songs that, when you hear them, youo know they were written from a totally honest place. This is one of them. It will live on in our hearts.