Friday, December 29, 2006

2006 In Memoriam

This time of year we are beseiged with year-end lists: "best of" films, albums and books. We also are reminded of those individuals who didn't survive the year. I am an unapologetic animal lover and this was one rough year for the wonderful pets and the people who love them.


First up: Bruce Wayne Kirby "The Bat Cat". He was a very good boy and lived well into his kitty teens providing much love to his dad, mom, human siblings and kitty peep, Homeslice. Please tell me how many cats you know who would allow such blatant displays of haberdashery?



*
Next up, sassy Tabetha. She was acquired from a family in a vacant Maid-Rite parking lot in West Liberty, Iowa, circa 1992. The young girl didn't want to give her up, but her parents knew better. She had named the cat 'Chisel' and obviously had no idea what she was doing. Tabby lived with me for awhile and then relocated to Des Moines with my parents for the rest of her pampered, loved life. She was a sweet girl and like most tempestuous females, terribly misunderstood.

*
The old saying is 'save the best for last' - in this case the fluffiest and most therapeutic. My sweet Lillian was such a lady. I adopted her from a cramped, non-fancy shelter the first day I was able to get a kitty. She put up with me. I could ramble on and on about how much she meant to me - and still does - and how I try not to focus on the way she exited the world. How I would have loved to bring her back to her hometown of San Diego. I adored her, she was wonderful and I miss her so much every day. Props to you Lilly!


***
Hug 'em if ya got 'em. Happy New Year - P
***
"Dogs have owners, cats have staff." ~ Anonymous

No comments: