Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My Trip to Best Friends - Part Four & Final

I planned on visiting Best Friends Animal Sanctuary to volunteer with the animals and enjoy some fun with my friend Bonnie. One thing I didn't plan on (really!!) was bringing home another critter. And I wouldn't have if it weren't for a poor doggie that had been shot.in.the.face.

I was admiring said shot doggie as she was hanging out in the Dog Headquarters and being office-fostered with some of the staff. I was telling her how beautiful she was when this smaller, black dog came hobbling from the packed office with its right front leg near his chest, paralyzed & with an open wound. If not for that one moment, I would have never noticed said doggie (and I also wouldn't need to be buying new blinds...but more on that later.)

The dog I met had been named Inky. He was first called Mr.Stinky when he was rescued from the Merced, CA animal shelter where he had been found by one of the Best Friends dog trainers while she was visiting her family in central California. She brought him back to Best Friends knowing the odds were against him in that high-kill shelter. Mr. Stinky has a bit of a negative connotation, so she went with Inky.

During the rest of my visit, I kept stopping by that office to see Inky and spend some time with him. He could not have cared less about me. He was attached to his rescuer/foster mom. I was there when his new foster mom (the one he would spend the next month with) came to pick him up and take him home. He was scheduled to be neutered and have the right leg amputated on Christmas Eve Eve.

Long story short, I kept thinking about him (and my dream of one day having a 3-legged dog) and kept in touch with not only his rescuer and foster mom, but also one of the adoption counselors. How could I resist? I put in my application for him and since he never was in a dog run or online, I don't think I had any competition...and he was mine!

His surgery went well and his foster mom said he was only down one day - the day of the surgery - and after that he was back on his 3 legs and causing mayhem (remember the line about the need to replace blinds?) He could not go to his new home until he was at least 2 weeks post-surgery. Once he got the green light from a Best Friends vet, I made arrangements to meet his convoy in Las Vegas. Best Friends works with adoptive families all over the country and they drive many animals to the LV airport to fly them to their new homes. I opted to drive there, pick him up, and drive him back home. It was quite an adventure, and very fun (except for the dust storms and stupid Las Vegas construction, but who cares about that now?)

I re-named the dog once known as Mr. Stinky/Inky - BRISCOE. I named him in loving memory of one of my favorite TV characters Detective Lennie Briscoe of the 27th precinct on Law & Order.

Briscoe's hair is growing back and the incision is almost completely healed. He bonded to me very quickly. I have had him home one month and he is settling in well. I recently allowed him access to the kitties he at first wanted to chase, but they fortunately gave him some proper hisses and he has learned his place in the pecking order. Toby gets along fine with the new dog as long as Briscoe doesn't jump on or into Toby, or nails him with his Dr. Seuss character-like tail.

Briscoe is adjusting to his crate (though he prefers the pillow-filled end of the couch), has visited & run around the fenced dog park, made new doggie friends and has begun obedience class which he seems to be taking to with the pep and vigor expected from a spaniel mix. Oh yeah, he is allegedly two years old. And the blinds he destroyed needed to be replaced anyway. Some photos to enjoy:


Pali said...

Post these pics of Facebook too OK??
Welcome home Briscoe!

The Young Family said...

You are the best person eva!! Briscoe is very fortunate to have you as his new owner!

Bless you Paula.